Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Rogue Trooper Classics #2 (IDW)

Me an' Rogue Trooper, we got history!

Right back to the day when I saw that first strip in 2000AD, lying in a hospital bed recovering from a motorcycle/wall interface event. Through years of filling sketchbooks of drawings of him, right up to the point when I finally got to draw him for real, as in, for 2000AD. He remains a consistent request when I sketch at conventions. Our latest crossing of paths is on the alternate cover to IDW's Rogue Trooper Classics #2 (out last week, June 11). Well, I say 'latest' but infact the image used is taken from that first pro job I did of Rogue back in 2002 (pencils by me, inks by David Roach). It's the big reveal shot, cropped & spliced into a cover image, but retains the little 'Thank God it's NOT Friday' gag, which those who know of Rogue's somewhat convoluted history will understand since that strip was the first time the original Rogue had been back in the prog for 13 years. However shown in isolation here, the joke falls a bit flat. All that said, it's very flattering that IDW should consider this image iconic enough to be worthy of a cover. I'm afraid you won't be able to take a trip down to your local comic shop to pick up a copy of the version with my cover, since I think it only appears on the version sent out to those who subscribed. However, you can get the regular edition which features a very lovely drawing by John McCrea, & the interiors are some of those original Dave Gibbons & Colin Wilson Rogue stories, this time in colour, & are well worth a read.

Anyway, this is how the cover featuring my Rogue appears...

This is the original page as it appeared back in 2000AD in 2002...

And here is John McCrea's cover to the regular edition of Rogue Trooper Classics #2




Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kid said...

Rogue Trooper was one of the regular strips I lettered too many years ago. Long before your time drawing him no doubt. Which version are they on now?

10:33 AM  
Blogger Staz Johnson said...

As far as 2000AD is concerned, I believe that Rogue is pretty much retired these days. The character has such a convoluted history, I think they are steering a wide birth, apart from the occasional foray, which tend to be in the original 'Nu Earth' setting. But I confess, I'm not a regular reader of 2000AD anymore, so I stand to be corrected.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home