Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Agent Provocateur: New World Order.

During the summer of last year I received a call from an editor & old pal of mine Brady Webb, asking me if I'd be interested in working on a comic strip series for the cutting edge lingerie manufacturer & retailer, AGENT PROVOCATEUR. Brady laid out the basic premise, that this was to be a story told in four parts, which was to run in the company's four seasonal catalogues over the subsequent 12 months. Despite my initial concerns that it seemed like I would be squeezing a lot of additional work into an already tight schedule, I decided that it was too good an opportunity to turn down, & hey, you only live once.. right.

The story revolved around a squad of female 'superheroes', each of whom wore various AP outfits as their superhero costumes.

I'll not go into the story in too much depth, basically because after completeing the artwork for the first part of it, I decided that it would be best if I pulled out. Some of the minor problems that I had foreseen prior to starting the gig, had started to manifest, & in even more significant ways than I had suspected. So I never saw the whole story, & the artist which followed me didn't either, since shortly after the second part was completed, the whole management structure at AP changed, & as I understand it, the project was pulled, & the completed second part was never even published.

Anyway, enough of such matters, this post is supposed to be a major 'art dump'.. so here it is, everything I can find on my computer relating to the project. From the initial 'warm up' sketches, designs for a spaceship, layouts of the pages themselves, the finished art, & the original versions some pages which after completion had to be changed. Hope you enjoy.






















8 Comments:

Blogger Cliff Robinson said...

Stunningly beautiful artwork, Staz. Are those stains on one of the layouts tea, coffee or the blood you was sweating as those deadlines became tighter? Such a pity the job didn't work out as that is an amazing first episode. Excellent figure drawing, Sir.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Staz Johnson said...

Thanks Cliff, high praise indeed coming from you!! It was nice to get to draw women again for a while, & yes, coffee stains over the roughs.. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a sloppy Joe kind of illustrator. How some guys manage to keep a perfectly tidy studio space is beyond me.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Peter Lee Crookes said...

Its so good to see the work progress from concept to inked. It's a shame the project was pulled, I would have loved to have seen it fully completed. I have great admiration for your art, thank you for sharing it!!!
Pete.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Staz Johnson said...

Check out the most recent post Pete, it has scans of all the pages of printed artwork.

7:01 AM  
Blogger jon haward said...

great stuff as always ,always enjoy seeing the behind the scenes stuff .
looking forward to seeing Dracula are you nearly finished on it? the sample pages on facebook look fang-tastic ;-)

7:39 AM  
Blogger Sheldon Goh said...

Brilliant stuff Staz! I love all the pages, but for some reason the last panel of pg8 really grabbed me. Great choice of angle on that officer pointing out at the reader!

What happened to Pg8Pn3 in the printed version? It got blacked out?

7:59 AM  
Blogger Staz Johnson said...

Hi Don,

I made a brief mention of that in the post. Agent Provocateur felt that the way that particular bad guy got dispatched was a tad too extreme. Don't ask me why, it seemed fine to me, the girl was called Tarantula & she sucked the life out of him. I imagine they didn't want any of the girls to be quite that nasty.
I was asked to redraw that guy's face, but I simply ran out of time, so the whole panel was taken out.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Sheldon Goh said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Staz. I must've missed the explanation on the other blog post for some reason. Keep up the art dumps! It's ALWAYS great to see new art from you. :)

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home